Jackson Co. Historical Society Archives and Education Director
Position Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Independence, Missouri
Primary Function: To preserve, catalogue, and make accessible archival records and to create and implement educational programming
· Bachelor’s Degree in history or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Minimum preferred 3-5 years’ experience working in archives/ museums.
· Experience with cataloguing and providing reference services, preferably in a research or museum library.
· Knowledge of current archival arrangement and description standards.
· Knowledge of computer standards and applications in archives and libraries.
· Ability to work independently and manage highly sensitive material in a confidential and secure manner.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, attention to detail, excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills.
Job Specific Competencies:
· Manage arrangement, description, and creation of access tools for archival records, including correspondence, photographs, financial records, administrative files, and publications.
· Determine data entry and cataloging standards for the archival collections.
· Manage and maintain archival databases, finding aids, and inventories.
· Provide reference and research services to patrons.
· Establish policies and procedures for the Archives and Research Library.
· Serve as an ex-officio member of the Publications Committee, and execute the plans for periodic or singular publications as approved by that committee.
· Use sound judgment in establishing priorities and implementing an effective work schedule.
· Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
· Mobility required to conduct business in other locations.
· Ability to reach and lift boxes of books or papers weighing approximately 50 pounds.
· Ability to hear and talk effectively and positively with Society employees, volunteers, patrons, and members of area organizations and government agencies.
· Ability to coordinate multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously with minimal supervision.
Visual Requirements: Extensive computer use, reading of typewritten, handwritten, and digital documents.
Working Conditions: Position works closely with material that may cause allergic reactions, particularly to dust, and in areas with little ventilation.
Technology Proficiency: Microsoft Office, PastPerfect Museum Software, scanning, copying.
Compensation: Salary $32,000-$35,000
This is a full time position with ten paid vacation days, five paid sick days, and no health care benefits.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Archives and Education Director' in the subject line.