The Jackson County Historical Society, in addition to preserving history, wants to do its part to help preserve the environment.
To that end, JCHS has agreed to purchase community solar for the 1859 Old Jail and Museum located on the Independence Square and served by Independence Power and Light.
Current community solar customers pay slightly more for their power and can subscribe up to 40% of their monthly usage, but they also lock-in electrical rates for a 25-year period.
The municipal owned utility has been involved in developing community solar farms with an initial 3.2 MW community solar farm at 24301 E. Bundschu Rd. opposite Indian Trails Elementary School. That site went online in March 2017 and is 100% subscribed by customers.
Recently, IPL and MC Power (which builds and manages the community solar farm) agreed to expand with a second site on the 94.6-acre former Rockwood Golf Club in Independence.
The new Rockwood site will include battery capabilities which can store electrical power for later use when it is needed by the system.
When the two expansion projects are completed next summer, the city believes its community solar output will be the largest in the state.
JCHS will be part of the second phase when it comes online.